Code of Conduct
We are committed to creating a work environment that is safe, professional and of mutual trust where diversity and inclusion and will not tolerate harassment of participants in any form.>
We ask TORUS2018 participants to please follow these guidelines:>
- Behave professionally. Harassment and sexist, racist, or exclusionary comments or jokes are not appropriate. Harassment includes sustained disruption of talks or other events, inappropriate physical contact, sexual attention or innuendo, deliberate intimidation, stalking, and photography or recording of an individual without consent. It also includes offensive comments related to individual characteristics, for example: age, gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, race, nationality or religion.
- All communication should be appropriate for a professional audience including people of many different backgrounds. Sexual or sexist language and imagery are not appropriate.
- Be respectful and do not insult or put down other attendees or facilitators of the event. Critique ideas, not people.
- Should a participant witness events of bullying, harassment or aggression, we recommend that they approach the affected person to show support and check how they are. The witness may also wish to suggest that the person report the inappropriate behaviour. However, it is up to the affected person alone whether or not they wish to report it.
- If participants wish to share photos of a speaker on social media, we strongly recommend that they first get the speaker's permission. Participants may also share the contents of talks/slides via social media unless a speaker has requested that specific details/slides not be shared.
Please contact one of the organizers as points of contact for all matters related to this code. Participants can report any violation of these guidelines to these designates in confidence. If asked to stop inappropriate behaviour participants are expected to comply immediately and, in serious cases, may be asked to leave the event without a refund. We will not tolerate retaliation against anyone reporting violations of this code of conduct.